Sunday Morning Must-Read News Highlights
- Manhunt for Murder Suspect in Rivers State: Rivers State Governor, Siminalayi Fubara, has launched a manhunt for Gift David Okpara Okpolowu, alias 2-Baba, and his criminal gang. They are wanted in connection with the murder of a Divisional Police Officer, Bako Angbashim, with a N100 million bounty placed on 2-Baba’s head.
- DSS Operative Arrested in FCT Shooting Incident: The Commissioner of Police for the Federal Capital Territory Command, Haruna Garba, announced the arrest and detention of a Department of State Services (DSS) operative involved in a shooting incident. Investigations into the incident are ongoing, dispelling rumors of the operative walking free.
- North East Governors Urge Military to Act Swiftly: The North East Governors’ Forum, led by Gov. Babagana Zulum of Borno, calls on the military to eliminate insurgents who refuse to surrender during the ongoing mass surrenders by terrorists in the region. This message emphasizes the commitment to eradicating terrorism.
- Morocco’s Devastating Earthquake: Morocco experiences a devastating 6.8-magnitude earthquake, claiming over 1,000 lives. Rescue efforts are underway in remote mountain villages near Marrakesh, the hardest-hit region.
- Tinubu’s Call for Global Support: President Bola Ahmed Tinubu, addressing the 18th G-20 Leaders’ Summit in New Delhi, India, urges the Global North, advanced economies, and multilateral institutions to focus their resources on aiding the disadvantaged Global South. This call underscores the need for global solidarity.
- Minister Advises Peter Obi Against Appeal: Minister of Works Senator Dave Umahi advises Peter Obi, the presidential candidate of the Labour Party in the 2023 elections, not to pursue an appeal after the Presidential Election Petition Tribunal upheld President Bola Tinubu’s victory.
- Akeredolu’s Swift Return to Duty: Ondo Governor Oluwarotimi Akeredolu promptly resumes official duties less than 48 hours after his medical vacation. He signs a bill to create 33 Local Council Development Areas (LCDAs) in the state, disproving critics who questioned his fitness.
- Tragic Canoe Accident in Adamawa: The Adamawa State Government confirms the recovery of eight bodies and the rescue of eight survivors after a tragic canoe accident in Yola South. Search efforts are ongoing for seven missing passengers.
- Senator Udende’s Confidence in Appeal Court: Senator Emmanuel Udende reassures his constituents that his election victory will stand firm following the National and State Assembly Election Petition Tribunal’s ruling against him.
- EFCC Cracks Down on Internet Fraudsters in Warri: The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) arrests 41 suspected internet fraudsters in Warri, Delta State, following a sting operation based on intelligence reports.
Stay informed with these captivating headlines that cover a range of significant events from manhunts to international calls for support, and local governance achievements to natural disasters.